December's been a busy month, as you can probably tell. I'm excited to point out that, for the first time, I am actually using one of my own pictures for the playlist cover. Very, very exciting! Like what you hear? Check out my Spotify! Come listen along.
Here are the highlights from this month's list. If you have time, give the whole list a listen, and hopefully you'll find more songs you like!
- Lily Kershaw - Miss America - I don't think it's a big secret that I was quite shocked by the 2016 election. The lyrics on this song really speak to me on a number of levels, and I really like the folk-y vibe that the tune has.
- Katelyn Tarver - Hate to Tell You - "Like all the other guys, you like my brown eyes. // Told me like eleven times." I really liked this song right off the top, and I've been following Katelyn since I fell in love with her song Weekend Millionaire.
- Deidre & the Dark - Dreaming of You - This one is a bit of a throwback to what I used to listen to a lot. It reminds me a lot of Kurt Elling's Dedicated to You album (the track Say It (Over and Over Again) is a favourite of mine) with the string arrangement. Just a beautiful kind of texture and sound.
- The Shacks - Rain - Here's another one by The Shacks (last month, I featured a cover of theirs)! I really like the way the track comes together with the synths and the production on it. It's got a really cool sound profile that I really dig.
- Sylo Nozra - Two of Us - A great feel, with some really damn smooth vocals. Fun fact, I used to work with this guy back when he was in a punk band! Definitely something different now. Sparse harmonics with a focus on the vocals, there's something about this track that does make me move a bit. Check out the EP titled this_era.
- Alexx Mack - Retro Romance - Retro, indeed. The feel on this song is really great, and I really love her vocals on this track.
- River Tiber - West (feat. Daniel Caesar) - Saw these guys live after catching Charlotte Day Wilson, and it was a perfect pairing. I'd describe this particular track as atmospheric with the sound that just keeps undulating into your ear, almost like a smooth wash of delicious sound, like the crest of a wave.
- courtship. - Love For Everyone - Just a great groover, and I'm sure it's one you'll enjoy! Get up and dance.
- The Darcys - Virtual Reality - I like this tune, but I can't quite put my finger on it in the way I can't really figure out why I like vapourware. There's a nice tinge of nostaliga that underpins the new Darcys' sound. A nice jumper, so check it out!